Skelaxin - metaxalone
(meh TAX ah lone)
What is the most important information I should know about Skelaxin (metaxalone)?
- Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Skelaxin (metaxalone) may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
- Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Skelaxin (metaxalone).
What is Skelaxin (metaxalone)?
- Skelaxin (metaxalone) is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.
- Skelaxin is used, along with rest and physical therapy, to treat injuries and other painful muscular conditions.
- Skelaxin may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.
Who should not take Skelaxin?
- Do not take Skelaxin if you have acute intermittent porphyria.
- Before taking Skelaxin, tell your doctor if you have liver disease. You may need a lower dose or special monitoring during your therapy.
- It is not known whether Skelaxin will harm an unborn baby. Do not take Skelaxin without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
- It is also not known whether Skelaxin passes into breast milk. Do not take Skelaxin without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
- Skelaxin is not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age.
How should I take Skelaxin?
- Take Skelaxin exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
- Take each dose with a full glass of water.
- Store Skelaxin at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
- You should take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take only your next regularly scheduled dose. Do not take a double dose of this medication.
What happens if I overdose?
- Seek emergency medical attention.
- Symptoms of a Skelaxin overdose are unknown but might include low blood pressure (weakness, fainting, confusion), nausea, severe drowsiness, decreased breathing, and unconsciousness.
What should I avoid while taking Skelaxin?
- Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Skelaxin may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
- Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking Skelaxin.
What are the possible side effects of Skelaxin?
- If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking Skelaxin and seek emergency medical attention:
- an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives); or
- yellow skin or eyes.
- Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take Skelaxin and talk to your doctor if you experience
- drowsiness or dizziness;
- headache, nervousness, or irritability; or
- nausea, upset stomach, or vomiting.
- Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
What other drugs will affect Skelaxin?
- Many drugs can increase the effects of Skelaxin, which can lead to heavy sedation. Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- antihistamines such as brompheniramine (Dimetane, Bromfed, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, Teldrin, others), azatadine (Optimine), clemastine (Tavist), and many others;
- narcotics (pain killers) such as meperidine (Demerol), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR, others), propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), hydrocodone (Lorcet, Vicodin), oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan), fentanyl (Duragesic), and codeine (Fiorinal, Fioricet, Tylenol #3, others);
- sedatives such as phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal), amobarbital (Amytal), and secobarbital (Seconal);
- phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine); or
- antidepressants such as doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), phenelzine (Nardil), and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
- Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with Skelaxin. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
Other useful drug information: Crestor | Accutane | Metoclopramide | Zoloft | Alprazolam | Hydrocodone | Xanax
Page Content: 800 skelaxin , effects side skelaxin , 800 mg skelaxin , 800mg skelaxin , information skelaxin , buy skelaxin , medication skelaxin , metaxalone skelaxin .